Pressure Effect on Superconductivity in Selenide Superconductors
Efree members M. Baldini, V. V. Struzhkin, A. F. Goncharov, and W. L. Mao published the findings of their research on rare earth lanthanum manganite (LaMnO3), the parent compound for many hole doped manganites which exhibit colossal magnetoresistance (CMR).
The highest Tc material has been found under high pressure; application of pressure also allows detailed studies of a multitude of physical probes in high-Tc superconductors at the borderline between the non-superconducting and superconducting states. Thus, in addition to chemical modification of materials, the pressure variable is one of the most important tools available to us for controlling materials processes at the level of electrons.
- Sci. Thrust Areas: Nanophase, Composite & Geological, Superconducting, Electronic & Magnetic Materials
- Technology Task Force Teams: Electromagnetic Probes, Neutrons, Novel Materials Synthesis, Synchrotron Radiation, Theory & Computation
- Laboratory or Institution: SNS, Oakridge Tenn.
- National Laboratory Partners: Chris Tulk, SNS
- Other Collaborators: A. M. d. Santos, SNS, Jamie Molaison, SNS